Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 16:12:14 -0400, wrote:

Around here it is ALL in conduit - from the attachment of the
overhead to the stack, or from at leat 1 1/2 feet underground to the
meter base.

That SE cable used to be real popular in the 50s and 60s. Although they
still sell it, I dont see it used much anymore. Maybe it's no longer
code? I have not checked. The trend was metal EMT conduit for years,
now its mostly the PVC gray conduit.

But there are still a lot of older homes that have that old SE cable.
Especially rural homes. I have seen a lot of it on older barns too.

The really old stuff was coated with an impregnated cloth. I've
actually seen that stuff with over half of the outer coating missing,
where you see the wires inside, with the neutral/ground wrapped around
them. If that was mine, it would have been replaced longs ago.