Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

On 3/21/2015 8:20 PM, wrote:

It's common here in northern Illinois. Maybe code. Some wires are
strung to fascia, and some to a pipe sticking out of the roof.
Mine's a 3 1/2" pipe going 4' above the roof.
That goose-necked pipe goes to the meter.
I had a new 200 amp service put in when I bought the house, and that
pipe was on my dime.

The service stack is part of your house.. The service feed wire
across your property is yours. All the way from the main distribution
line, generally at the street.

I recall seeing a rehab in Chicago and they mentioned Romex was not
allowed and they ran conduit in the walls. Codes varey around the
country and the NEC is only a minimum.