Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 19:00:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/21/2015 4:29 PM, philo wrote:

.

The run from the power company wiring...down to the meter is the owner's
responsibility and I'd never seen that be a cable. It should be a
heavy-wall conduit.

You should look around more. I can show you thousands of houses with
cable. When I lived in Philadelphia, I never saw a conduit entrance
unless it was from an underground entrance, a rarity. .

It's common here in northern Illinois. Maybe code. Some wires are
strung to fascia, and some to a pipe sticking out of the roof.
Mine's a 3 1/2" pipe going 4' above the roof.
That goose-necked pipe goes to the meter.
I had a new 200 amp service put in when I bought the house, and that
pipe was on my dime.