Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:01:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

The cable from the "service point" toward your house belongs to you
and typically the service point is the crimp at the service head where
the overhead drop connects to the SE cable.
In an underground lateral, the service point is usually at the street.
You own the wire underground in your yard.
The only thing the utility owns is the meter itself.

All of my utilities have a "Demarcation point" on one wall, near the
street. Water line is diagonal across the yard to the water meter at
the curb. That line is my duty to R&R on my curb side. Other
utilities, as I understand are responsibility to the "Demarcation
point" (DM) by the provider.

Somewhat off topic, about sewer lines with no electricity. A friend had
a clogged sewer, and the plumber came and reamed and then he was going
to dig up the front lawn and replace the clogged pipe for hundreds or
thousands of dollars,, and another friend of my friend told him to call
the city, and it turned out the city owned the drain pipe not just under
the street (and sidewalk?) but also a wider area in case they some day
wanted to widen the street. The city came out and cleaned their part,
and everything was fine again. No added cost to my friend.