Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

A friend of mine bought a house and one of the things that the home
inspector noted was some wear or damage to the insulation on the service
entrance cable on the outside of the house that runs down to the meter. She
was buying the house as-is anyway, and at a discounted price, so she didn't
ask the sellers to do anything about that before closing the deal. Now she
is just trying to figure out what, if anything, needs to or should be done
regarding repairing or replacing the service entrance cable.

I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but I will, so that I can observe
what the home inspector saw and maybe take a photo or two. If the service
entrance cable does need to be replaced, I do know of an electrician that I
can suggest to her to do the replacement.

But, my question is..., If the only issue is some minor cracking or wear in
the service entrance cable insulation, is there a way to just repair the
insulation? I assume that it is gray in color, so is there some type of
insulation repair product that can be applied that is made for this type of
situation -- possibly gray in color so it doesn't look bad?

Thanks.