Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can an old timer explain car backfires?

On 3/18/2015 12:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's not AC, it's pulsed DC.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../ignition.html

(from another friend)

The original purpose of the Vibrator was in the power supply of early
car radios. The Vibrator would make pulsed DC to drive the transformer
to make the B+ (Typically 300 Volts) and C voltage (Typically around 45
Volts) to run the old High Voltage tubes.

When I was Young and Dumb, I had a 1972 Impala 454 SS with dual exhaust.
I made me a Vibrator powering a pair of Ignition Coils driving a pair of
Spark Plugs I mounted in the exhaust tips. When I flipped the switch, it
would throw flames about 3 or 4 Feet long out of the back.

This trick works best on Pre-1974 EPA cars then the newer ones.

..