Posted to alt.home.repair
Col. Edmund Burke[_8_] Col. Edmund Burke[_8_] is offline

Default Refrigerator -- terrible smell!

wrote in message
HB -- I have a Whirlpool of about the same vintage and am having exactly
the same problem (or, my tenant is).

Did you determine the problem? Was there anything you could do other than
trash the thing?

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 7:06:34 PM UTC-6, Higgs Boson wrote:
Desperate! For over a month there has been a terrible smell coming from
the refrigerator AND the freezer!!!

Frig. is a medium-end Whirlpool w/top freezer, about 6-7 years old.

I took EVERY item out of the frig, smelled it (nothing) washed the entire
frig. section. Did the same with the freezer - where the smell, oddly
enough, seems STRONGER! No change; smell still there.

IMPORTANT: When I was cleaning out the freezer, the blast of air SEEMED
to be carrying the odor. By now, I am so crazy that I'm not even sure of
THAT!

I asked a handyman who was doing some work for me to smell the
frig/freezer. Asked him whether an animal could have crawled behind and
died. He sensibly replied that if that were the case, the whole kitchen
would smell.

So has something gotten into the ?? lines ??? that cool the
frig/freezer?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

HB

Clean it.