Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Can an old timer explain car backfires?

When I was growing up car backfires were common. As a kid I had friends who could make it happen at will.

Now that the carburetor is long gone, most younger folk have never heard one. Fuel injection eliminated this, I think; could be wrong.

I never understood exactly what happens. Usually a car would backfire when under heavy load, and the gas suddenly let up. So my guess is the carburetor had a full charge with nowhere to go. But what ignited it?

Or, possibly the lack of air made an overly rich mixture escape the exhaust valves, and the explosion was in the manifold?