Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default GFI question

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 09:36:01 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

My pool has a Ground Fault Interuptor that has two plugs but also covers
the pump, light and automatic cover motors. It isn't currently working.
When I push the reset in, there is no click and nothing happens (even
with everything turned off for the winter, the incidcator lights on the
auto cover should show). Before when I have had problems with the
circuit, it would at least catch and you would hear a click before it
kicked off again. This time, push in the reset and it just comes right
back out again, no click or any kind of reaction.
Does this sound like it is most likely the GFI itself?

It sounds like this GFI is outdoors from what you posted. Meaning its
in a so called "outdoor" or "weatherproof" box. I'll tell you right
from the start that those boxes are NOT really weatherproof. Water gets
in around the wire cable, or those foam gaskets which are usually pretty
flimsy and dont seal real well.

I live on a farm, have livestock, and in winter, they need tank heaters,
to keep the drinking water from freezing. Those heaters have a cord
that goes right into water. After having an animal nearly electrocuted
years ago, from a defective heater, I replaced all outdoor outlets with
GFIs.

That protected the animals as well as myself (people) who have to fill
and clean those watering stock tanks. I used all those so called
"weatherproof" outdoor boxes, and yet I was finding myself replacing at
least one GFI every year.

I have eliminated almost all GFI failures in recent years, by simply
using a little silicone caulk around every opening in the box. Silicone
around the cables where they enter the box, on those blank hole plugs
(that fill unused holes), and after I put the cover over the GFI, I put
the silicone around the cover and box, where that foam seal goes.

This makes a huge difference. However, water, snow, etc still can get
into the actual prong holes in the outlet, when they are in use. I know
they make costly plastic enclosures to cover the whole outlet. Those
should work well on a home, but on a farm, I'm sure they would get
broken. So, I just took an old junked tractor tire innertube, and cut
squares out of it, and attach it to the wall or post above the outlet..
It hangs over the whole outlet and prevents water from entering.

I have learned that GFIs are not very tolerant to water. Even small
amounts seem to harm them. (Unlike regular outlets which are rarely
hurt by a little water).

You most likely need to replace the GFI. But before doing any real
work, remove the cover plate, and check for voltage using a meter or
just one of those simple neon testers you can buy for $2 almost
anywhere. If you DONT have voltage, you have a problem elsewhere. If
you do have voltage, replace the GFI. It's not all that difficult.
Just do it safely, or get someone else to do it who knows how, if you
are uncomfortable with it.