Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default GFI question

On 3/16/2015 9:39 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , "TomR"
wrote:

I couldn't tell for sure if you mean that the indicator light on the GFI is
or is not present and lit -- is it?

not present.

If it were me, I would want to first confirm that power is getting to the
GFI. If it is, then my guess would be that the GFI is bad and needs to be
replaced.

The breaker isn't tripped. Should I check the leads with a volt meter or
something else or just assume for now that electricity is getting
through.

1) Cycle the circuit breaker to make sure it hasn't tripped

2) unplug EVERYTHING from the GFCI (and make sure there isn't a feed
through to other outlets on that circuit.) That's a common installation
to afford protection to more than one outlet and COULD be your problem,
i.e. the fault is connected to another outlet.

3) if you have a multimeter and are comfy checking for voltage at the
outlet, do so. If you have voltage present but the GFCI still won't
reset...

4) replace the GFCI