Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default GFI question

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:10:44 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Kurt Ullman typed:
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd suggest to remove all the loads, and see if the
GFCI resets. Add loads one at a time, as I did.

I tried that. The pool is closed down with pump and light off. The

SM wasn't quite clear enough. By remove, he means UNPLUG. "Off" is
not the same as unplugged.***

only load from the cover is the indicator lights unless actually
moving it on or off. I did disconnect the cover motor because that

Which implies you didn't disconnect anything else.

had been causing a problem a couple of years ago, but corrected after
they changed out a bad motor.
The fact that it isn't catching (which is did for a couple of
seconds even with the bad motor)

It woudl be fair to extrapolate from that if there were no other tests
to run, but there are other tests to run.

is the reason I think it is the GFI
itself.

Of course, I assume that you checked the circuit breaker for that circuit to
make sure that it has not tripped and/or gone bad and needs to be reset or
replaced.

That too.

I couldn't tell for sure if you mean that the indicator light on the GFI is
or is not present and lit -- is it?

If it were me, I would want to first confirm that power is getting to the
GFI. If it is, then my guess would be that the GFI is bad and needs to be
replaced.

***I don't know how in practice pools are wired, or who wired this one.
But in theory and perhaps in fact, there may be receptacles downstream
from this one which will also trip this one, for ground fault reasons.
You also have to unplug anything in all of them. I presume anything on
this circuit relates to the pool. Although one never knows what a
previous homeowner or psychopathic electrician has done. Perhaps after
the pool was wired, he wanted power for a gazebo or other light, or to
power some outdoor burglar alarm sensor. If unplugging everything from
this recept that you're looking at now doesn't allow you to reset it, at
least check for other receptacles (or even things which are hard-wired)
which are also dead and unplug everything from them.

(When power is restored, you might want to get one of those yellow
things about the size of a large** walnut with 3 LEDs, that plugs into
the recept and tells you if it is wired correctly. This is unrelated to
whether it is GFCI. It doesn't sound relevant here, but you never know,
and they're cheap. )

**I think walnuts come only in one size, but assume it's bigger than
average.