Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Beneful dog food.........

| Fine, don't take my word for it. Go to a grocery store, pick up a bag of
Nestle chocolate chips,
| and look at the ingredients list yourself.

It's interesting what one can and can't find online.
I was unable to find any ingredients lists at any
Nestle site. But I did find this:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/business...al-ingredients

Nestle was pledging a year ago to remove artificial
flavors and colors (artificial colors?!) from many
of their candies by the end of 2015. Did they? Maybe.
Will I now buy Nestle products? No. I wouldn't consider
it. Aside from political and business issues, and the fact
that at least up until recently they considered artifical
flavors and colors to be proper ingredients of candy,
there's one glaring issue that I happen to find relevant:
their chocolate is almost tasteless compared with good
quality chocolate. Also, some of their products still
appear to have hydrogenated fats. I can't confirm
that, though, because Nestle doesn't seem to want me
to see their ingredients lists.

I generally try to buy food products from local or
known, accountable companies. That's not always
so easy, though. For instance, I've been buying
Muir Glen canned, organic tomatoes because the
cans say they don't contain BPA lining, and because
I don't consider Whole Foods house brands to be
trustworthy. But it turns out that Muir Glen is actually
owned by General Mills. Does GM allow them to make
a decent product? There's no way to know. That's
the problem with factory food. Decisions are made
by businessmen and products are more marketing than
substance. The marketing and
name brands make things very confusing. Coke owns
Honest Tea and Green Mountain Coffee. Pepsi owns
Naked Juice. Post owns Erewhon. Dannon owns Stonyfield
Farms, which owns Brown Cow. (yogurt) It seems the
best indicator of sellout companies is when they suddenly
get good distribution. Which is a case made for the local
food fad.