Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default OT ear plugs that work?

On 3/15/2015 2:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 19:49:29 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 3/14/2015 2:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 14:29:43 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 3/14/2015 1:49 PM, KenK wrote:
Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
saw on the store shelf I tried.

I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
help me much.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Curious myself.
At shooting range this week, I wore both foam plugs and ear muffs.
I guess you should look for rating on package. I'm seeing stuff that
varies from ~22 to ~34 decibels reduction. I think plugs designed for
shooting are highest.

I'd be looking for military or law enforcement spec in gun shops or
local "cop shops".

I had found this an interesting site:

http://www.macksearplugs.com/hearing_protection.php

They sell for the various uses and all have the decibel reduction
rating. OP mentions Macks but there are much more than a single type.

The link implies: "The highest noise reduction rating (NRR) currently
offered by an earplug is around 33 decibels."

Seems best the OP can do.

It has been an interesting thread and had me check an unopened package
of Hearos ear plugs and they are rated at 33. They were probably bought
at the drug store or Walmart:

http://www.hearos.com/ear-plug-hearos

I've got the blue ones shown but this looks neat:

http://www.hearos.com/products/skull-screws