Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default OT ear plugs that work?

On 3/14/2015 2:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 14:29:43 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 3/14/2015 1:49 PM, KenK wrote:
Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
saw on the store shelf I tried.

I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
help me much.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Curious myself.
At shooting range this week, I wore both foam plugs and ear muffs.
I guess you should look for rating on package. I'm seeing stuff that
varies from ~22 to ~34 decibels reduction. I think plugs designed for
shooting are highest.

I'd be looking for military or law enforcement spec in gun shops or
local "cop shops".

I had found this an interesting site:

http://www.macksearplugs.com/hearing_protection.php

They sell for the various uses and all have the decibel reduction
rating. OP mentions Macks but there are much more than a single type.