Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Actual PEX Inside Diameter (Size)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:17:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 03/12/2015 10:59 AM, dpb wrote:
On 03/12/2015 10:52 AM, wrote:

And take into account virtually no (Canadian, anyway) insurance
company is willing to write new business on a building with ANY
galvanized waterpipe or cast iron sewer pipe. (for good reason, I
might add!!!)

I'm having a hard time believing that...there's just too much of it in
existence to be so. Must be other mitigating factors as well methinks if
so...

That is, other than just blanket prohibition on cast/galvanized, must be
something else in the particular residence as well.

I'm involved w/ a local nonprofit that buys/rehabs some of the oldest
single-family residences in town (albeit, being in SW KS, nothing is all
_that_ old; just a little over 125 yr since founding) and many of these
have serious structural issues such that as are insurance is iffy at
best. But other than the _very_ few w/ some lead water entrance service
lines, there's nothing that isn't still approved Code practice if it
were up to repair including virtually all galvanized and cast waste
other than the inevitable patchups where plastic has been grafted in to
fix issues.

Once we do the necessary foundation work, etc., etc, etc., often the
main waste stack and occasionally even some of the plumbing is
salvageable if it had been replaced/updated so, since we're a nonprofit
w/ limited means, we do everything w/ as little cash outlay as possible.

Never had any difficulty getting the end product fully insured at
reasonable rates even w/ that existing...

With water damage claims being by far the biggest cost to insurers
here in Canada, cast plumbing stacks and galvanized pipes are a very
high risk. When cast iron rots from the inside you don't see there is
a problem untill the "**** hits the floor", Galvanized water pipes
also deteriorate from the inside - where the damage cannot be seen
untill the pipe fails, spraying water everywhwere. Doesn't help when
you have "agressive" water either.

Losses from water damage caused by old iron pipes by far excedes the
damage caused by old/bad wiring..

Don't believe me? Check out
:
http://www.grassroots.ca/homeowner_h...-insurance.php