Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Electrical Neutral Connected to Ground

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:44:01 +0000, Chuck
wrote:

replying to ShirtFree, Chuck wrote:
ShirtFree wrote:

I have just discovered that our 120v microwave oven is tapped into the 240v
stove circuit. The stove circuit is a two wire cable with ground, and the
microwave is connected to one hot wire and the neutral is connected to the
grounding wire of the stove circuit. I'm not an electrician, but I know
intuitively this is not right. What is the major danger? Any ideas for a

remedy?

Thanks, guys, for all the input. There are no 120v devices on the stove
(very cheap model). No clocks, outlets or the like. Strictly 240v heating
elements. The house was constructed in the late 60's, early 70's (with
aluminum wiring) and the kitchen "remodeling" was done in 2010, at which
time the jerry rigged wiring was installed. I'm sure no permitting took
place.

And that outlet is probably wired with #12 or #14 wire, which is
connected to a 40A or 50A breaker. And likely they have copper wire to
the outlet connected to Alum wire, which is likely to corrode due to the
dialectric action of different metals.

Glad to learn about the extent and nature of the dangers, though. I will
make sure that there is continuity in the ground between the stove and the
distribution panel. I'm going to go with having a separate circuit
installed as time and circumstances allow.

What are you going to do, check the connections every day? I'd get that
separate circuit installed THIS WEEK or sooner.

PS The Anne Arundel County Fire Service was not interested in stationing
fire fighters and equipment in the vicinity. The entire community has
aluminum wiring and yet there have been no house fires that I am aware of.

In that case, the whole house might burn to the ground.

Your house could be the FIRST one to burn.

Consider this. The Microwave (MW) develops a problem, causing a dead
short. There is no properly sized breaker to trip. Several things can
happen. If you're lucky. only the MW will be destroyed as smoke pours
out of it, making it hard to breathe and sooting up the house, until it
finally burns the internal wires and components enough to be
disconnected from the power. -OR- If you're not so lucky, the
unprotected #12 or #14 wires to that outlet ignite, setting the house on
fire, destroying your home. It's a gamble, and with Alum wire, the odds
are NOT in your favor. So, you might want to have some marshmallows
handy to roast as your home burns to the ground.

I have not addressed any possible electrocution issues in this reply.

As another poster said "the person who wired that should be in jail".

Thanks again to all of you for your help.