Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot Latex Paint ...very poor coverage

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:13:49 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| My only recent experience with paint is using Doit Best "Best Look"
| exterior paint/primer . It's made by Sherwin Williams , and I was very
| pleased with the results (I got a gallon of pastel base for cheap because
| the can was dented) . This paint is thick , and covers well in 2 coats on
| bare and previously stain/varnished wood . We'll see how it lasts , I used
| it to paint my bee hives , which will be out in the weather year round .

That's a tough one. I don't know what to use
outside anymore, either. The linseed oil primer is
still pretty good. Beyond that, there's no oil house
paint. The only solid oil stain I know of is Cabot's,
which seems to attract mildew. Latex stain has
no substance to it. Sherwin Williams and BM both
have an exterior oil paint sold in quarts, but neither
one seems to have the body that exterior oil paint
used to have.

Acrylic/latex is fine for siding, but for exposed sills,
decks, fences, etc I just don't know a good product.

Someone asked me last summer about painting a
fence. I suggested BM linseed oil primer followed by
water base solid stain. I figured the primer would seal
against moisture and the stain can be re-applied
like a whitewash as it wears. But it's an experiment.
I'll be curious to see how it wears after 3-4 years.

Painted the aluminum siding on the house 6 years or so ago using
MooreGlo fortified acrylic. Definitely not cheap, but one coat did the
job and it looks great.

Grahams Endure/waterborne ceramic paint looks very interesting for
exterior trim. Not readily available up here so I have not tried it.
Not talking about the "insulating" paint coatings.

I've used ceramic engine enamel and it works pretty good. (on metal
engine parts - not my house!!!!)