Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Home Depot Latex Paint ...very poor coverage

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 9:45:36 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| The original colour was a beige /tan . And yes .......3coats WITH a latex
| primer when I used Behr and Private Estates ( GP ). Aura is the only paint
| I'd trust if I needed to use white again ...and even then it would be 2
| coats ...not the ONE they advertise .

You said you'd used non-Aura, so I'm assuming
you have used Aura in the past. Were you running an
experiment this time? Why would you use 3 different
paints -- 2 of them cheap brands -- on one project?
And why would you put primer over a beige painted
wall to cover with white? Primer is for unpainted
surfaces, or as a covering flat coat when painting
a bright color that has low opacity. White paint has
high opacity. There's no point in using primer. (In fact,
the newer BM waterborne paints claim to be "self-priming"
even over plaster or joint compound.)

I agree. I don't see the need for primer there either.
Sounds like a total waste to me.

I tried Aura once and now avoid it. First, it's grossly
overpriced, yet the paint stores push it because they
had to buy new, expensive tinting equipment to make
the paints with "waterborne" tint. (Presumably BM is
also pushing it. Berkshire Hathway bought BM. Maybe
Aura is Warren Buffet's bright idea to greatly increase
profits with no real change to the business.)

I haven't used Aura, but BM regular latex is so mighty fine
that I can't imagine the Aura is worth the additional cost.
IDK what it could do that's better.

With coverage, in general, I've never needed to do more
than 2 coats in recent memory. Nor have I seen anything
cover in 1 coat. So opacity of coverage is simply not a
factor I consider. I always do 2 coats and that's always
sufficient. (That's assuming decent paint is used. Not Behr,
Glidden, or store brands.)

I'm using some Behr right now in an off white color that
has just the smallest hint of gray in it. I'm just starting,
so don't know how it's going to turn out. But I do know that
in Consumer Reports testing, Behr has come in near the top in
their ratings. I don't remember which specific type of paint
it was though.

I'm afraid the paint technology is just not keeping up with EPA

requirements.

Well, what do you expect? When the govt limits what you can use,
in many cases it will affect the product. A good example is clear
coat for stamped concrete. In many states you can't buy the solvent
based anymore. The acrylic stuff lasts maybe half as long.