Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Road Salt: How Hygroscopic?

On 3/9/2015 4:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I mean the stuff that our state uses on highways: big, irregular
yellowish crystals. They always seem to be slightly wet.

I come away from Googling with the impression that as long as the
humidity is over 75%, road salt will be absorbing water.

I've got a couple of 5-gallon buckets of it that I am saving for next
winter and wonder if it is worth leaving the buckets uncovered for a few
weeks of lower-humidity weather in hopes of drying it out.

Does the stuff dry out? Or is the water adsorption a one-way street?

There are more than one chemical used in road salt.

Sodium chloride is minimally hygro, calcium chloride
is very hygro.

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2015/0...iveries-sight/

http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20150302/News/150309963

Not clear if it's sodium or calcium. Used to be a salt
mine in our state, in Retsof, but not sure that mine is
active. Some concerns about runoff and ground water. Our
state also has a lot of rusted out vehicles.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus