Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Road Salt: How Hygroscopic?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I mean the stuff that our state uses on highways: big, irregular
yellowish crystals. They always seem to be slightly wet.

I come away from Googling with the impression that as long as the
humidity is over 75%, road salt will be absorbing water.

I've got a couple of 5-gallon buckets of it that I am saving for next
winter and wonder if it is worth leaving the buckets uncovered for a few
weeks of lower-humidity weather in hopes of drying it out.

Does the stuff dry out? Or is the water adsorption a one-way street?

Hi,
Any salt including table salt(NaCl) will absorb moisture.