Chipper

Default Welder as battery charger??

I have seen the Lincoln MIG welder used as a battery recharger. It is
also the only time I have seen a Lead/Acid battery explode. He was
able to bring down the voltage to 14VDC and connected it up and ran
back and plugged it in. BOOM! Regretably he is related to me, my
brother. He is alos not the brightest bulb in the bunch either, thank
goodness. It was a battery from an old golfcart the U-Store-It dump
outside the fence. After seeing that I just never had the guts to try
it myself.

Chipper

On 9 Aug 2003 22:09:20 -0700, (Larry) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
On 9 Aug 2003 10:39:27 -0700,
(Cory B) wrote:

I have a Lincoln welder that is 220 operated, and has an output of 40
Volt Switchable from AC/DC, and selectable 10-220 amp.. I am thinking
that if I were to use a 4 Volt inline resistor, and somewhere around
100 amp it should charge the batteries quite well, although I am not
an electronics expert of any sort and I really need some advice here
as to what parts to use, how to wire this baby up and feedback as to
just how crazy I might be..

Thanks in advance everyone,
Cory Boehne.

If the welder isn't 100% duty cycle, I would think it will overheat
and self destruct.

Well, I'm not sure about it being 100% duty cycle, but I do know they
use them to heat up long sections of pipe in the winter, so I don't
know if it would kill it or not...

I has forgotten about that, living in South Florida, but I think the
same warning applies. I'm sure my red Lincoln buzz box would certainly
catch on fire long before the batteries were charged. (20%) duty
cycle....if it actually had a DC output that is.
I'm looking forward to a few replies from someone more qualified than
me..

Look under golf carts and you find info on correct type you need.