Larry

Default Welder as battery charger??

wrote in message . ..
On 9 Aug 2003 10:39:27 -0700,
(Cory B) wrote:

I have a Lincoln welder that is 220 operated, and has an output of 40
Volt Switchable from AC/DC, and selectable 10-220 amp.. I am thinking
that if I were to use a 4 Volt inline resistor, and somewhere around
100 amp it should charge the batteries quite well, although I am not
an electronics expert of any sort and I really need some advice here
as to what parts to use, how to wire this baby up and feedback as to
just how crazy I might be..

Thanks in advance everyone,
Cory Boehne.

If the welder isn't 100% duty cycle, I would think it will overheat
and self destruct.

Well, I'm not sure about it being 100% duty cycle, but I do know they
use them to heat up long sections of pipe in the winter, so I don't
know if it would kill it or not...

I has forgotten about that, living in South Florida, but I think the
same warning applies. I'm sure my red Lincoln buzz box would certainly
catch on fire long before the batteries were charged. (20%) duty
cycle....if it actually had a DC output that is.
I'm looking forward to a few replies from someone more qualified than
me..

Look under golf carts and you find info on correct type you need.