Cory B

Default Welder as battery charger??

Hi everyone, I have a very important question that needs a good answer
(such that I don't kill myself/start a major fire)

I have a forklift that is run off of batteries, 36 Volt... I beleve
they are in series linked positive to negative(series right???) There
are two posts for each positive and negative so that there are four
posts on each battery. There look to be a total of 18 cells, which
would be 2V each.. These are quite large..

The problem that I have is my charger I bought with it is three phase
(label indicates that it is "cycle phase"?? does this mean anything
important??) and it produces 36 Volt at 180 DC Amp..

I have a Lincoln welder that is 220 operated, and has an output of 40
Volt Switchable from AC/DC, and selectable 10-220 amp.. I am thinking
that if I were to use a 4 Volt inline resistor, and somewhere around
100 amp it should charge the batteries quite well, although I am not
an electronics expert of any sort and I really need some advice here
as to what parts to use, how to wire this baby up and feedback as to
just how crazy I might be..

Thanks in advance everyone,
Cory Boehne.