Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace statistics now in

On 05 Mar 2015 18:34:42 GMT, Zak W wrote:

philo wrote in :

On 03/05/2015 10:24 AM, CRNG wrote:
afford

Got my $150 energy rebate check a few days ago

Seems like a good deal. What was the total cost of the new furnace?

After the rebate it was about $3600

It's 96% efficiency. The former one (23 years ago) was 80% efficiency
and about $2900...so it was not too bad.

The contractor did not charge me extra for priority which I needed due
to the old one breaking down in winter...plus there was no charge for
them to do a follow up call a month later to confirm all was working
ok...and to fine tune the venting.

It will pay for itself in 7 or 8 years I'm guessing.

Based on your earlier posts: current bill = $210 which is 85% of you
previous bill of same month last year, so previous bill ~= $247, so saving
approx $37/month; but you wrote that this was a high-heat month, so
gestimating an average saving of $30/month your payback will be
approgimately 120 months. That's pretty good.

120 months of heating - that's 30 years at 4 months of winter per
year - Move north a bit and have 6 months of cold weather and it's
only 20 years.
90% chance the furnace doesn't last until it's paid for itself.

Sorry for the downer -----
Still a good idea to have a good current furnace.