Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Furnace statistics now in

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 3:07:12 PM UTC-5, Zak W wrote:
Zak W wrote in
:

philo wrote in :

On 03/05/2015 10:24 AM, CRNG wrote:
afford

Got my $150 energy rebate check a few days ago

Seems like a good deal. What was the total cost of the new furnace?

After the rebate it was about $3600

It's 96% efficiency. The former one (23 years ago) was 80% efficiency
and about $2900...so it was not too bad.

The contractor did not charge me extra for priority which I needed
due to the old one breaking down in winter...plus there was no charge
for them to do a follow up call a month later to confirm all was
working ok...and to fine tune the venting.

It will pay for itself in 7 or 8 years I'm guessing.

Based on your earlier posts: current bill = $210 which is 85% of you
previous bill of same month last year, so previous bill ~= $247, so
saving approx $37/month; but you wrote that this was a high-heat
month, so gestimating an average saving of $30/month your payback will
be approgimately 120 months. That's pretty good.

Upon further reflection, that $30/month may be too high. I doubt you
will save $30/month in June, July, August. So I'm thinking a better
guesstimate would be $20/month annual average. That makes the payback
180 months. Still pretty good.

Keep reflecting. That 180 months is ~36 years. 180/5 months usage a year,
36 years. And that's without factoring in the time value of money....
Not saying getting a new furnace is a bad thing, just that numbers are
what they are.