Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 5.56 ammo ban

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 1:41:44 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 03/05/2015 10:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 11:52:56 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

As to legalizing pot, don't you think it might be a good idea to slow it
down a bit? See what happens in CO and OR after a few years? Already
there appears to be a rise in auto accidents with people under the
influence, for example. If it works out OK there after 5 years or so,
then maybe it's OK to legalize it elsewhere. But my main point here was
that the DC mayor appears to be flipping off Congress.

I don't see a reason to wait. The reason it was outlawed was based on
xenophobia and corporate interest; DuPont was just coming out with synthetic
fibers and hemp competed with that.

Baloney. Hemp products, eg fiber, have been and continue to be legal.
The drug comes from a specific cultivar. Anything else you want to try
to make up and turn into a nutty conspiracy?

Hi Trader_4,

Ha! You are "usually" the one with all the facts. This
isn't right. I tell you, this just *isn't right*! You
will have to do better next time! I do believe in
"redemption" after all! :-)

Here is your "nutty conspiracy":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

Woah theere fellah. The poster claimed that the reason pot was
made illegal was because of Dupont. I don't think that's an established
fact, it's speculation. Pot was already under regulation, not only
in the USA, but other countries as well. And products produced
from hemp, are as I stated, legal in the USA. It's just the growing
of hemp, as you point out, that's illegal. Apparently folks also point
the finger for the growing ban on others besides Dupont, eg Hearst,
alleging he was afraid it was going to be used to make newspaper,
competing with his forest based newspaper product.

So, who knows. Is it possible? Perhaps, but the Dupont angle doesn't
make a lot of sense. Obviously nylon has a lot of special properties
that hemp doesn't, ie it's waterproof, you can make stockings out of it,
etc. And hemp production had been declining for years before the 1937
ban. I just don't see the logic or evidence.