Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Testing For Mold: Ins and Outs?

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 13:09:42 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'm suspicious of the whole thing. Some people,
especially with asthma, may be very sensitive to
mold, but in general if you have a mold problem
you smell it. Then you stop whatever moisture is
enabling the mold to grow and you wash with bleach.

We have a damp cellar with foundation walls that
sometimes leak. They're made of giant stones. In
the summer it's damp and cool down there. I can smell
the mold. But I don't see any reason to "treat" it. It
would just come back again, anyway. Actually, on a
hot summer day I rather like that damp, moldy air.
It seems to open up my sinuses.

Ever since hurricane Katrina it seems that mold
paranoia has become a big business, as though it
were radon.

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Officials with Louisville's Metro Air Pollution
Control District say they've identified the source of the bad odor
that residents have been complaining about for a week.

The agency told news outlets a naturally occurring chemical in the
soil called geosmin is to blame for a musty, mildew-like smell that
has led to dozens of complaints."

https://tinyurl.com/nsdutcf