Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default Lumber and now... toe nail fungus

"dadiOH" wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| My old podiatrist used to say hot water soak with
| some vinegar in the water. That helped loosen the
| dried skin. Not sure if it helped with fungus.

Interesting thought. I've wondered whether
there might be a good home remedy. People must
have had some options before there were anti-fungal
creams.

Amputation. It is the only sure, permanent solution

I've been cursed with fungus (athlete's foot) since 1945, got it - guess
where - gym class. I have fought it for decades, best I've ever gotten was
sort of an armed truce.

Me too but a little later...maybe 1955.

The nail fungus came many years later. A decade or two back I tried a
phatmaceutical house "sure cure". Needed a prescription, cost about $700,
had to use it for six months, money back guarantee. It did indeed get rid
of it. Unfortunately, it came back as soon as I stopped using the med. Got
my money back.

Probably Griseofulvin. Works well but as you've discovered the Tinea
returns. Actually it doesn't return. It's always there. I've consulted
many dermatologists over the years and the synthesis of their remarks
and treatment is that the fungus is all around us. I asked one if she
wanted to put down some paper for me to walk on. Nope, pointless, she
said. She actually ID'ed the type -- scraping and lab test (there are
dozens of types or subtypes). No help. The same medication works on
most of them but to a different degree and duration by joining with
the skin or nail tissue and creating (for a while) resistant new skin.
A few months later the tinea will return... unless you keep pounding
it with the drug. One dermatologist wanted to remove my toenails.
Didn't much like that idea.

I've often wondered why some people are so susceptible to it, others not.
The only thing I can think of is body pH. Fungus abhors acidity which is
why people wrap cheese in something with a few drops of vinegar to keep it
mold free.

Resistance is totally genetic. Either you have it (resistance) or you
don't. Of my two (grown) sons one has it same as me: the other
doesn't. My wife who shared the same bath mat and lots of other foot
items also seems immune. However, both wife and the immune son suffer
horribly from mosquito bites and both have huge problems with sunning
themselves. Personally I prefer the Tinea.

Obviously, my pH isn't acidic (probably) but I can't wear a base metal
wris****ch, metal is eaten up in a few months. If I am highly basic, maybe
that is why fungus loves me so?

As advised by a couple of the many dermatologists I've seen the best
you can do is to control it with topical OTC creams, sprays, and
lotions applied religiously daily. Also make sure you keep all
affected parts dry.