default

Default CAPACITOR QUESTION

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:04:10 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

That's news to me.
I recently looked at a manufacturer's website.
After two years, specs are not met without reforming.

Interesting. Prompted me to take out several of my stock of
electrolytics. 100uf to 1000 uf range. I measured capacity and all
were over the marked value, some by 200%. Applied the rated working
voltage in one go from a brute force PS (no regulator and level set by
the input variac). Applied voltage and charged them and no problems.
Left several of the same voltage on for hours with no failures.

Gave a few a harsher test by shorting the cap and supply. That gives
a spike of ~20% higher with my lash-up when the voltage returns.

Maybe the makers are covering their ass with the specs? Or perhaps
they meet some ambient temperature or ripple current spec while
testing.

Some of my caps are over 20 years old. The oldest did have lower
capacity versus fresh ones, but they were still over the rated values
but no 200% ones.

Which website? I'd be curious to see which specs they mean. Tantelum
electrolytics may be a different case, Ive seen those fail, but no
aluminum electrolytics.