Posted to alt.home.repair

Default too bad no present day car can do this

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 21:22:57 -0600, DanG wrote:

My dad told of setting a fire under the crankcase of two Forson
tractors, hoping that one would start or they had to harness the team.
Born 1920, died 2015 at 94.

On 2/25/2015 7:20 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/25/2015 07:15 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:51:43 -0600, philo wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0

Reminds me, as a kid, riding in Model A Fords in swamps. My uncle made
my brother walk because he refused to let a rattlesnake go that he
caught. Moonshine or kerosene worked as fuel supplements

I recall once talking to an old timer who told me his father's Model T
would start even if it was 20 below.

He said they'd put a try of glowing coals beneath the engine block.

Not sure if that would be a good idea today.

A guy who worked with me aa a mechanic back in the late sixties had a
61 corvair. He lived on a farm in the central ontario snow belt 20
some miles from town, and parked the old 'vair in the corn crib. On
cold mornings he'd get up and go out to the corn crib before breakfast
and take a steel "T" femce post wrapped in burlap and chicken wire out
of the barrel of used engine oil, splash a bit of gasoline on it,
light it with his cigar, and stick it under the back of the corvair.
When it was burnoing well, he went back in for breakfast, ant the
engine was nice and toasty warm when he came back out.
The back of that banana yellow corvair was a ball of tar!!!! He never
missed a day of work because it woudn't start.