Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring

| Anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? They has a segment about the laminate
| flooring that Lumber Liquidators is having made at three plants in
| China. It can be made 10% to 15% cheaper if you put in excessive
| formaldehyde. It exceeds California limits as much as 20X.

I saw that. Very interesting. I had thought that
formaldehyde was banned years ago. I know that
I haven't seen urea/formaldehyde glue for sale for
many years. So I was surprised that any use of
formaldehyde was legal. It's a known carcinogen.
That makes me wonder, now, about spray insulation.
Spray foam was popular years ago. Then it turned
out that if offgassed formaldehyde *and* turned to
dust after a few years. Now a similar product is back
in fashion for use in new construction. I wonder
whether the new stuff is really any better than the
old stuff.

Interesting side note: I've had trouble with toenail
fungus on one foot. One treatment is to put urea
solution on the nail until it falls off. I used to have
a pint-size can of urea crystals from urea-formaldehyde
glue that I'd bought years ago at the Woodworkers
store. CVS wanted $80 for a tiny bottle of urea solution
-- a common industrial and agricultural chemical! So I
went looking for my can of urea, but apparently I threw
it out years ago. By CVS standards that can would probably
be worth over $20,000.