Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default radio time code clock error

On 22/06/2015 08:16, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:40:09 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Anyone any insight into this error? Yesterday , coincidently? the
longest day. Set the alarm function for 06:30. Luckily woke just after
06:00 and decided to get up . Synchronous mains clock read 06:08 but
radio-code clock read 04:08, minute and seconds agreeing with another
radio-code clock but it had decided to go east 2 time zones. Still like
that about 07:00 but on returning in the evening the erroneous clock had
reset itself. How to predict when this error will reoccur? any
amelioration, plenty of LCD contrast so presumably the batteries are ok?

Nope. My clocks are just fine. Sometimes my WWVB based clocks go
nuts from RF noise in the shop. They then reset themselves after
midnight, when 60 KHz propagation is best. In the UK, you're probably
using MSF.
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/products-and-services/time/msf-radio-time-signal
They do have some scheduled outages, but that's not the problem this
time:
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/products-and-services/time/msf-outages
Offhand, I would guess(tm) that your unspecified model radio clock has
a dying battery. My various clocks do some rather strange things when
the battery is low.

You might want to fasten your seat belt on June 30th.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3131840/The-longest-day-Leap-second-make-61-second-minute-end-June-experts-warn-break-internet.html
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/leap-second-rattle-internet-theres-plot-kill/
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/technology/leap-second/
The good news is that you'll get an extra second of sleep during the
night of June 30th.

Mo
http://www.leapsecond.com/java/nixie.htm
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/GPS-vs-UTC.jpg

At the tone, the time will be:
http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm
Ummm... never mind.

Not specified as litterally no name/model on it. Casio watch, I
compared it to , was fine . At least I now know not to rely on
"no-name" and use it in alarm mode with another alarm clock. If it went
erroneous "to the west" it would not be so problematic