Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Direction of an AC motor revisited

wrote:

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the motor. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

I don't have access to the growler any more but can't I use my Simpson? I'm thinking that I should have continuity between each of two segments 180 degrees apart. Is that correct? Lenny

It also test for shorts between coils, usually caused by a short
between segments of the commutator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growle...ical_device%29