Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull[_2_] Rheilly Phoull[_2_] is offline

Default Direction of an AC motor revisited

wrote in message

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was running
in reverse after being disassembled and then put back together. It turns
out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse the direction of the
motor. We can't argue with success, but I still don't fully understand why
this is so. Can anyone please explain this to me? Thanks, Lenny

There was a term commonly used years ago which I haven't heard for a long
time. Many commutators would fail because they "threw solder". The point on
the commutator that was soldered to the individual rotor winding had heated,
melted the solder, and "threw" it out of the connection, leaving that
winding either open or intermittent at best. The connections on this
commutator, (and in fact others I've worked on over the past few years) are
(and have been) clean and look like they were crimped. Is soldering to
commutator segments no longer done? Lenny

I think they are all crimped these days, I am no longer active in that
field.