Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wolfgang Allinger[_2_] Wolfgang Allinger[_2_] is offline

Default Direction of an AC motor revisited

On 18 Jun 15 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article
wrote:

Just wanted to get back to the group about this AC motor that was
running in reverse after being disassembled and then put back
together. It turns out that reversing the brushes did indeed reverse
the direction of the motor. We can't argue with success, but I still
don't fully understand why this is so. Can anyone please explain this
to me? Thanks, Lenny

Take a DC Motor. The brushes are directly connected to the + -
connector. The permanent field is fixed. If you inverse the Batterie,
the rotor will run in the other direction.

So do the AC Motor. However the brushes and the field is connected to
the mains connector, so changing the mains connector will also change
the field, therefor no change between field and rotor.

But you managed reversing by changing the internal brush connection. So
the rotor is now to the opposite of the field direction.

Hope my Ginglisch is understandable

Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger, anerkannter Trollallergiker reply Adresse gesetzt!
Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf