Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Newbie Question: Filing Down Component Leads

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 8:09:27 AM UTC-4, Matthew Connor wrote:
Good morning, all! While technically minded, I am brand new to repairing PCBs. I'd therefore greatly appreciate relatively simple explanations and your indulgence of my ignorance.

I recently obtained a Geiger counter which was in need of being rebuilt. Because it was manufactured in 1962, the components are large and provide me with plenty of working room. After desoldering all components, I took a locksmith's file (very small and fine) and took off just the immediate outer layer of the leads of the components. My intention was to remove existing solder and any other "gunk". As soon as I began to see the copper color of the lead showing through, I stopped and moved on to the next. After doing this for all components, I soldered them back in and everything is working perfectly...for now.

I ran across some information AFTER doing this that tells me that might have been a bad idea. Are component leads coated with something protective that I should have left on? Should I expect earlier-than-usual failure from any of my components since I filed off this outer layer? Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Kindly,

Matthew Connor

A lot of work for probably no real reason. If the solder wetted properly on the leads, then no further action is required. Occasionally you'll run into a component lead that defies soldering. Normally, cranking the heat on the soldering station and adding some flux will crack the oxidation and the solder will flow out.