Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Repairing pc traces on a multi-layered board.

"David Farber" wrote in message ...

Gareth Magennis wrote:
"David Farber" wrote in message ...

The pc board is from a Korg piano. The model number is C-56M.
Schematic is here.
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/K...ICE_MANUAL.pdf

The relevant pages of the service manual are page 30 for the pc board
view and page 121 for the schematic.

Photo of the board I'm fixing is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...3-pc-board.jpg

The problem is that all of the 10uF 10v caps are bad. I've removed
them and replaced them with through-hole capacitors. Due to the
damage caused by the leaking electrolyte, I was forced to be creative
in finding working paths in the circuit that were still usable. There
is one spot I got stuck. Looking at the photo, you will see a 5 pin
connector which connects the volume control on the top of the piano
to this circuit board. There is no continuity between the left and
right output caps to the connector. I've made a trail of red dots in
the photo where the connections are supposed to be. The dots do not
represent a specific physical path but are there for clarity. The way
the signal path connects to the two pins are from the negative sides
of C116 and C117. (page 121 in the service manual) and then through
the two through-hole connections adjacent to the capacitors. Is it
possible to solder jumper wires from the capacitors to the
through-hole connectors (highlighted by arrows)?
Thanks for your reply.

You could prize off the plastic connector housing off the pins, and solder
thin wires from that to the capacitors, then put it back again.

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Good suggestion but I was still wondering if a wire can be soldered to those
circular through-hole connectors.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Dunno, sometimes these vias are very small, and/or covered in solder resist.
You could always drill them a bit bigger, bearing in mind they will no
longer connect both sides.

Gareth.