Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

A few years back Practical Sailing did a test of 54 finishes. After two
years the coating integrity of Epifanes, Helmsman, and Z-Spar Captain
were Fair-, Fair, and Fair+ respectively. There was no single-component
product in the test that got better than "Fair+".

Now, you may think it's worthwhile driving across town and spending
twice the price to get a product that is "Fair-" but I think I'd go with
the cheap stuff.

I wonder if they tested any Home Depot grade products, or if
the comparison was strictly on marine finishes.

"Helmsman" is the "home depot grade product" that was under discussion
earlier.

In my experience the Petit is markedly superior to Minwax,
altho it's not a head-to-head comparison since the little
boat sits out in the weather, and the Minwax coated stuff
is sheltered on the patio.

Have you ever tried them side by side on the same surface with the same
prep?