Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another little shop project

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:12:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:02:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

In this case liability is minimal , I think . This failure was due
to another part breaking , and this part is deep inside the PTO
drive . Worst case if my repair fails is loss of some oil and the
PTO quits working . Everybody seems happy , the charge was under 200
bucks to repair a part that goes for $2800 ...

Are you sure you're asking enough money to ply your skillsets, Terry?
Didn't you diagnose, grind, weld, mill, groove, and fit those parts?

Yes, I'm sure they were happy with that price. g

Well , they brought me a broken part and the problem was obvious . I spent
just over 4 hours welding and machining . So I charged them for 5 hours shop
time . I could have charged them more , but the plan here is to charge
reasonable (for this area) and get a few jobs thru them .

What about consumables? They're not cheap and people do expect to pay
for them. Don't cheat yourself.

A warning about discount pricing: Once people are charged a low price
once, they'll expect it from then on and they'll tell everyone they
know that's what your price is. It can really bite you in the ass.

Shop rates up here
aren't as high as many places , most of the auto repair shops are only
around $45 to $50 per hour .

Wow, auto shops get over $100/hr here in tiny Grass Pants, OR.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.