Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Acid resistant materials

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 14:08:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:57:53 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I am working on a packaging machine that is used to package various acids in quart and gallon plastic bottles. It will be used with phosphoric, HCl, sulfuric and hydrofluoric acids in fairly high concentrations. The fill nozzles are made from CPVC and are made to by-pass when the bottle gets filled to a certain level. They are prone to breakage. I need to remake them in a material/design that will reduce the breakage. My question is is there a stainless alloy that would hold up to these acids? The part of the nozzle that breaks is a tube, roughly 3/8" OD with a 1/4" ID with a cone machined into one end and threads on the other. Rather than redesign the whole CPVC nozzle I am wondering if I can just turn the piece that fails with something stronger. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. TIA

Id suggest glass.

No glass. Even borosilicate glass won't handle hydrofluoric acid.

--
Ed Huntress