Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default New 6" wire wheels

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/19/2015 11:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:
OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

To get the 1" face, gang up 2 thinner brushes. Get Osborn or Weiler at
a welding supply. Use .014" to .020" wire. Get knot-type brushes for
heavy-duty work. Get crimped for more general purpose.

MSC has Weiler. 1" face was $90.00
Not a fan of the price there but I'll dig around.

The ancient one on it was a B&D industrial, 1" face, crimped with .018
wire. Filled as close to solid as I've ever seen on a wire wheel.
But like everything else "They don't make those any longer"...

The grinder itself is one of the OLD 6" B&D Heavy duty ones. The plant
my father worked at had to get it out of the place as it doesn't meet
OSHA standards. All cast iron. Built back when "close enough" wasn't
good enough.

--
Steve W.