Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another little shop project

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:02:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Ignoramus9441 wrote:
Great job Terry!

On 2015-06-18, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/16/2015 7:14 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I got a call this morning from a guy with a broken tractor
part
snipped
I had a great day , stretched my
skills and made some money to boot .

Nothing as satisfying as that feeling of accomplishment!

Thanks guys , I love it when something comes out as well as this
project did . The part was heat treated , gear teeth and seal
surfaces , so I packed the whole thing except the area I was
building up in wet sand . Worked out well , the HAZ was a narrow
band just behind the o-ring groove when I was finished . The shop
foreman at the tractor dealer liked it ... I think they may send
more business my way .
--
Snag

In general experience, what's the liability risk when a hobbyist
without business insurance repairs something that failed in service?

I've been turning down most requests to fix stuff, other than getting
a stubborn engine to start or bolting in a new commercial part. Asking
if they have the shop manual is enough to send them elsewhere.

-jsw

In this case liability is minimal , I think . This failure was due to
another part breaking , and this part is deep inside the PTO drive . Worst
case if my repair fails is loss of some oil and the PTO quits working .
Everybody seems happy , the charge was under 200 bucks to repair a part that
goes for $2800 ...

Are you sure you're asking enough money to ply your skillsets, Terry?
Didn't you diagnose, grind, weld, mill, groove, and fit those parts?

Yes, I'm sure they were happy with that price. g

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.