Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another little shop project

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Ignoramus9441 wrote:
Great job Terry!

On 2015-06-18, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/16/2015 7:14 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I got a call this morning from a guy with a broken tractor
part

snipped
I had a great day , stretched my
skills and made some money to boot .

Nothing as satisfying as that feeling of accomplishment!

Thanks guys , I love it when something comes out as well as this
project did . The part was heat treated , gear teeth and seal
surfaces , so I packed the whole thing except the area I was
building up in wet sand . Worked out well , the HAZ was a narrow
band just behind the o-ring groove when I was finished . The shop
foreman at the tractor dealer liked it ... I think they may send
more business my way .
--
Snag

In general experience, what's the liability risk when a hobbyist
without business insurance repairs something that failed in service?

I've been turning down most requests to fix stuff, other than getting
a stubborn engine to start or bolting in a new commercial part. Asking
if they have the shop manual is enough to send them elsewhere.

-jsw