Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Beal[_3_] Howard Beal[_3_] is offline

Default Pulling very large gears

On 2015-06-17, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 3:26:17 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus7394 wrote:
I am eyeing a job that would involve pulling large gears off their
shafts. Gears are 3ft in diameter and some may be even 4ft.

This being the United States of America, I am sure that commercial
solutions have been developed for that kind of thing. I wonder what
sort of places should I call to rent some big gear pullers?

You might tell us a bit more. If you are trying to remove the gears
so they can be used again, that is one thing. If you are going to
sell them as scrap metal , that is another.

One option is to cut the shafts with a oxyacet torch and never pull the
gears at all.

I cannot cut the shafts. It involves moving a machine for a
customer. He wants some gears and does not want other gears, but he
wants the shafts.

Try Ahern. 50 ton porta power should pry them off without damage.

http://www.ahern.com/

Best Regards
Tom.