Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Pulling very large gears

Ignoramus7394 wrote:

I am eyeing a job that would involve pulling large gears off their
shafts. Gears are 3ft in diameter and some may be even 4ft.

This being the United States of America, I am sure that commercial
solutions have been developed for that kind of thing. I wonder what
sort of places should I call to rent some big gear pullers?

Wow!

I've not worked that size range. But as gears and pulleys get large, pulling
them by spanning their entire diameter becomes problematic.

Are there any threaded holes near the shaft boss? Or access between spokes
or 'lightening holes' where one might use a smaller puller? I'd be afraid of
bending the gear by pulling on the periphery.

I'd look for something like this:

http://www.lawndaleforge.com/large-i...r-set-with.jpg

and try to get hold of the gear as close to the shaft boss as possible.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I have the key to happiness. But they just changed the locks.