Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Kenmore side-by-side: no ice

On 2/15/2015 7:48 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Kenmore 106.56532400 side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (made by
Whirlpool, I understand) about 8-9 years old. Never a spot of trouble
until now.

It's quit making ice. The solenoids for the water valves have electrical
continuity (~250 and ~350 ohms). The freezer temperature is well below
10F. No sign of any blockage of the water-delivery tube.

I've found some on-line discussions of this model, with some suggested
diagnostic tests, one of which says to unplug the appliance, then plug
it in again, then open the freezer door within 60 seconds and observe
the flashing-LED sequences: different numbers of flashes are supposed to
indicate checks of different components. I do not see any flashes: when
I first open the freezer door, the LED is on solid, but then goes out
and after a short delay resumes its normal (normal for when the door is
open) flash-flash-pause sequence. If I hold in the little flap that
blocks the sensor beam, the LED is illuminated continuously.

I poured water into the ice-maker using a turkey baster, and there is
now ice, but the cubes are not being discharged into the dispenser.

Bad ice-maker unit, or bad control circuitry (i.e., expensive
printed-circuit board)?

Perce

I haven't read many responses, mainly because I don't know anything
about the electrical discussion. We have a Frigidaire SBS that had
intermittent problems with the icemaker. Had a repair guy out once, who
was too obese to get down and really tinker behind the fridge; he
finally decided it was water pressure and went down to the basement and
changed out the little saddle valve for the water supply. Worked for a
little while. I was tempted to just order a new icemaker, but
fortunately found AppliancePartsPros.com....they have all kinds of
instructional videos, model specific, as well as terrific on-line
assessment of your individual problems. I sent a description of our
finicky, intermittent icemaking lapses and got back a suggestion to
order (with part number) the control valve that goes on the back of the
fridge. The instructions supplied with the part were kind of vague (to
me), but their video for changing out the part was great! And it works!
You can also read other users' problems and solutions, and
AppliancePartsPros.com then sent an inquiry to find out whether your
problem is solved. I give them five stars!