Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Cleaning swamp cooler

I've started cleaning my cooler for the summer. First thing, clean out the
calcium in the water pan. I scraped off the soft stuff but there's a 1/4"
layer of hard calcium in part of the water reservoir (sp?). A putty knife
isn't doing much good in some places. I poured some Lime Away on a portion
of it to see if it helps; so far it doesn't. I have some "The Works" toilet
bowl cleaner. I think it's weak hydrochloric acid.

I've always used a "Fresh Air' white block in the cooler water that's
supposed to neutralize the calcium in my well water. I also use that mesh
bag of something that's supposed to do the same. Past years these have
worked but not last year for some reason. Harder well water?

Any suggestions?

TIA