Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Kenmore side-by-side: no ice

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 7:48:56 AM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Kenmore 106.56532400 side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (made by
Whirlpool, I understand) about 8-9 years old. Never a spot of trouble
until now.

It's quit making ice. The solenoids for the water valves have electrical
continuity (~250 and ~350 ohms). The freezer temperature is well below
10F. No sign of any blockage of the water-delivery tube.

I've found some on-line discussions of this model, with some suggested
diagnostic tests, one of which says to unplug the appliance, then plug
it in again, then open the freezer door within 60 seconds and observe
the flashing-LED sequences: different numbers of flashes are supposed to
indicate checks of different components. I do not see any flashes: when
I first open the freezer door, the LED is on solid, but then goes out
and after a short delay resumes its normal (normal for when the door is
open) flash-flash-pause sequence. If I hold in the little flap that
blocks the sensor beam, the LED is illuminated continuously.

I poured water into the ice-maker using a turkey baster, and there is
now ice, but the cubes are not being discharged into the dispenser.

Bad ice-maker unit, or bad control circuitry (i.e., expensive
printed-circuit board)?

Perce

When mine wouldn't make or discharge ice, I filled a spray bottle with hot water and sprayed it into the area where the ice cubes form before discharge. I gave it a good soaking and it started working again. Must have been a bit of ice lodged in there somewhere that the hot water melted and washed away.

Paul