Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Kenmore side-by-side: no ice

On 02/15/2015 10:17 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bad ice-maker unit, or bad control circuitry (i.e., expensive
printed-circuit board)?

My money is on the ice maker. It is the most common repair needed on
refrigerators. Make sure nothing is hindering the cycle. Sometimes a
cube get stuck in the fingers and jams it. If that is the problem once
unjammed it may have to go through a dry cycle before it fills again.

Worse case scenario is to replace the unit. I'd remove it, let that,
then try it again.

I found the diagnostic chart behind the kick panel and could then see
where the contacts were that others had mentioned. I jumpered the H and
T contacts to bypass the bi-metal strip and the thing got warm, but the
mechanism did not turn, so I assumed that the little motor has died (I
had a similar motor on a washing machine die a few decades ago).
HOWEVER, the motor is not open circuit: DC resistance of ~4K Ohms. But I
did see that the gear wheel marked "do not turn manually" slides in and
out on its shaft and does not always allow the contacts on its underside
to contact the "fingers" that poke through from the inside. Yet even
pushing the wheel in and jumpering the H and T contacts does not cause
the mechanism to operate and push the ice cubes out.

Perce