Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default OK to cut humidifier in side of A-coil box?

Subject says all... it's been unuually cold for the area here (DC-land, single digits at night) and I stayed last night at my girlfriend's place while she was out of town. A while back I'd brought over a little weather station thing for several reasons, and had always noticed that it was very dry in the wintertime. We've disconnected the dryer vent in an attempt to mitigate this (I know you're not supposed to do that but desperate times etc.) Last night it got down to single digits and the hygrometer was measuring 20% RH when I got up this morning. I guess the combo of only one person in the house and cold temps just dry everything out.

The house has an updraft natural gas furnace with a whole house A/C sitting on top of it. There's no room to install a typical humidifier like I'm used to seeing e.g. Aprilaire 700 between the A-coil and the ceiling. Would it be acceptable to just cut it right into the side of the A-coil box itself? This seems to be literally the only way to make this happen.

Or are there any other ideas for humidification (besides leaving a teapot on all the time...)

Oddly, my place does have a humidifier that I serviced when I moved in, and never finished hooking back up (hack job by previous residents) and it never gets this dry...

thanks...

nate